- This event has passed.
Grand Trunk Road at the Depanneur
November 18, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The Grand Trunk Road at the Depanneur!
The Grand Trunk Road is one of the oldest and longest running roads in South Asia. Making its way through the land of five rivers, the Grand Trunk Road allowed for the sharing of ideas and cultures, contributing to the rich flavours and diversity of Punjabi cuisine.
Beginning in February of 2016, the Grand Trunk Road popped up in markets across Toronto, from Kensington to Union Summer Market. This exciting pop up now comes to the Depanneur!
Join us as we take a culinary journey through Punjab along the Grand Trunk Road, celebrating the best the region has to offer.
All our dishes are vegetarian with vegan and gluten free options.
• Punjabi Po Boy: Savour our Punjabi vegan take on the traditional po boy sandwich. This sandwich is comprised of flash fried vegetables in a chickpea batter, beet coleslaw and topped with our date-tamarind chutney (Punjabi salsa). *Vegan
• Vegan Black Bean Bowl with Avocado and Plantain: Punjabi spiced black beans on a bed of brown and Canadian wild rice with toasted almonds and kale, finished with pickled cabbage, avocado, fried plantain and chutney. *Vegan *Gluten Free
• Chef’s Special: Chef Gagan creates a specially curated entree for the Depanneur. He will create this dish based on the availability of the freshest and highest quality ingredients.
• Dessert: Satiate your sweet tooth with our Punjabi inspired desserts.
Drink Menu: $3
• Turmeric Latte: Enjoy this delicious healing drink made with turmeric, ginger and a blend of spices.
• Chai Latte: Organic blend of black tea and a medley of spices boiled to perfection and sweetened with organic cane sugar.
• Punjabi Soda Pop: We’re excited to partner once again with the good folks at ‘Sweet Ice Company’ to create a specially curated Punjabi Inspired Soda.
Gurratan Singh, is leaving his lawyer’s briefcase behind to explore Punjabi influenced dishes. Inspired by the home-style cooking he grew up with, Gurratan Singh hopes to bring an over 2000 year old vegetarian food culture, along with its amazing health benefits and great taste to the world.
Gagan Harish is the culinary artist who brings the dishes of Grand Trunk Road to life. Inspired by parents with a love for food, Gagan’s passion for cooking began at a young age. A graduate from George Brown College’s Culinary Management Program, Gagan began his career in the kitchen at Duggan’s Brewery before moving to the prestigious Liberty Grand and Rosewater Supper Club. He then struck out on his own and has been providing catering and personal chef services over the past four years.
Gagan is an avid traveler, always finding opportunities to explore different food scenes while away. He’s had the honour of visiting and working at the world renowned NOMA while on a short trip to Copenhagen, taking sushi lessons in Japan, in addition to eating at some of best Michelin starred restaurants around the world.
Gagan Harish has joined up with Grand Trunk Road bringing with him his years of experience and love of food.