We’re Hiring: Community Outreach & Office Assistant
Looking for work? TVA is hiring through Canada Summer Jobs for a Community Outreach & Office Assistant!
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1945, the Toronto Vegetarian Association (TVA) is Toronto’s go-to resource for all things veg! For 75 years, the TVA has worked to inspire people to choose a healthier, greener, more compassionate lifestyle through plant-based eating. An important part of spreading the plant-based message during the pandemic is through our digital outreach program (online, social media), virtual events such as the Veg Food Fest (September 11-13) and through the publication of the annual Veg Guide in print, online and app forms.
The Community Outreach Assistant will be primarily responsible for engaging with the local plant-based community by assisting with the planning and execution of the Veg Guide to optimize the number of businesses willing to list their vegetarian and vegan options to serve the community. Secondly, they will be responsible for assisting with outreach, mainly through some digital support for the virtual veg food fest and other administrative tasks in support of these programs.
The Community Outreach Assistant will assist the Community and Engagement Coordinator regarding tasks including; answering questions about the Veg Guide, performing follow-up calls with advertising prospects, and processing payments. They will also be required to answer queries relating to general inquiries from vendors, members, or the general public about TVA’s activities. They will also be required to support the Executive Director for the production of the outreach elements of Veg Food Fest.
An enthusiastic, proactive self-starter with passion, knowledge and personal experience in plant-based living will thrive in this position. This role calls for excellent organizational and planning skills, strong communication and customer service skills, and proficiency with computers. Sales and marketing experience is a definite plus. Experience with social media and online content generation is an asset, but not essential.
The successful candidate must qualify for the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program, be available for a start date of August 17th, 2020
CONTRACT: 8-weeks through the CSJ program; 35 hrs/week. This will be a remote position, with the successful applicant able to provide their own computer. Some weekend work may be required during the weekend of Veg Food Fest (September 11-13) and towards the launch of the Veg Guide.
CANADA SUMMER JOBS ELIGIBILITY
It is mandatory that the successful candidate be eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program. In order to qualify for this program, the candidate must:
- ● Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment position.
- ● Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- ● Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Community Outreach and Office Assistant will be required to:
- ● Plan and carry out projects and tasks from start to finish with well-defined objectives; continuously monitor the success of these projects and tasks, and identify ways to improve.
- ● Have good attention to detail and ability to follow instructions.
- ● Able to communicate effectively with a variety of customers, provide excellent customer service, and engage with
the general public both in person and over the phone for both sales and marketing support
- ● Be able to adapt to differing demands for digital outreach, virtual Veg Food Fest and to support administrative
In addition to the duties listed above, this position will incorporate exciting and challenging growth tasks and learning opportunities.
The Community Outreach and Office Assistant will have the unique opportunity to develop their project planning, communicating and problem-solving skills in a welcoming and supportive vegetarian-friendly environment, as well as to interact with and coordinate with a wide range of businesses and customers.
The successful applicant must:
- Meet the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program (see Canada Summer Jobs Eligibility)
- Demonstrate the capacity for self-directed work, and be able to work well under minimal supervision.
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have experience and interest in providing customer service.
- Be highly responsible, mature, and willing to accept personal accountability.
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- Be proficient in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and internet – experience with
digital content is an asset.
- Ability to participate at the virtual Veg Food Fest (Sept 11-13) is an asset.
- Knowledgeable of, enthusiastic about, and practice plant-based living.
We encourage applications from students enrolled in any of the following field(s) of study or having a combination of training and experience in the following areas:
● Administrative Studies, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Marketing, Non-profit Management, Health Sciences or another related field.
● Reports to:
○ Community and Engagement Coordinator
● Supports the:
○ Executive Director
- Send your résumé and cover letter addressed to the Community and Engagement Coordinator, e-mailed to
email@example.com quoting CSJ20COOA in the subject line.
- In yourcover letter, please demonstrate how you meet the above qualifications and the impact the plant-based
movement has had on you.
- MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments only, please.
Deadline to apply is Monday, August 10th 2020 at 11:59pm.
The TVA welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin. If additional accessibility support is needed, please request in advance. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.
Filed under: Uncategorised