Food and Recipe of the Month: Grilled Lemon and Garlic Asparagus
Care of Andrea Howe, of glowingongreens.com
With Spring on the horizon and buds beginning to grow, local asparagus is the perfect April vegetable to have in your fridge. Grilling, steaming, or roasting, this vegetable is so versatile and can be prepared with a variety of meals.
Asparagus is known for its bright green colour and crunchy texture. This green colour is from a pigment called chlorophyll, which is a phytonutrient with abilities to reduce inflammation and stop free-radical damage. This means it can reduce cancer cell formation, heal wounds and tissue damage, as well as increase energy levels.
Additionally, that crunch from asparagus is from their high fibre and water content. Studies show that a diet rich in fibre can help with a variety of comorbidities such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. It makes us feel full longer, reduces blood sugar and blood pressure, and improves overall well-being.
Although blanching asparagus is the healthiest way to cook it, they can be prepared in just about any way. Try this Grilled Lemon and Garlic Asparagus recipe to serve at your next dinner party.
Grilled Lemon and Garlic Asparagus
– 1 bunch asparagus
– 1 lemon, juice and zest
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– Salt and pepper
– Red chilli flakes, fresh dill, vegan parmesan (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 415˚F (or barbeque). Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
2. Prepare asparagus by trimming off ends, about 1 inch. Place on baking tray.
3. In a bowl, add the juice and zest of 1 lemon, minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and chilli flakes. Combine, then pour over asparagus.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
5. Garnish with desired toppings.