Food and Recipe of the Month: Peaches
Care of Andrea Howe at glowingongreens.com
Summer weather calls for peachy moods, and peach-filled recipes. This bright fruit is packed full of flavour and nutrients, and a perfect addition to your plate.
Peaches are known for their abundance of antioxidants. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that aids in cell repair from free-radical damage, protecting your body from aging and disease.
Additionally, they contain fibre, that key nutrient for improved overall health. Fibre reduces inflammation and can improve symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders such as IBS. It also reduces LDL cholesterol, and blood sugar levels, thus reducing risk of Type 2 Diabetes and heart disease.
This juicy fruit can be enjoyed in a variety of ways like baked in a tart, sliced in a salad, or grilled as a decadent accompaniment. Peaches are an Ontario grown summer fruit and can be found at local farmers markets and grocery stores.
Try this rich grilled peach pancake recipe at your next family brunch.
Blueberry and Grilled Peach Pancakes
– 1 cup oat flour
– 1 tbsp flax seed
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 cup non-dairy milk
– 1 banana
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
– handful of fresh blueberries
– 2 peaches, sliced
– Toppings: almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon
1. In a blender, combine oat flour, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then add non-dairy milk, banana, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until fully combined. Batter should be consistency of muffin batter. If too thick, add more milk.
2. Transfer to a bowl and add blueberries.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add batter. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes.
4. Simultaneously, heat another pan or grill. Add sliced peaches and cook for 3 minutes each side.
5. Top pancakes with grilled peaches, and other desired toppings.