Summer Job Posting: Community Outreach and Office Assistant
A Canada Summer Jobs opportunity with the Toronto Vegetarian Association
CANADA SUMMER JOBS POSTING – Community Outreach and Office Assistant (Toronto Vegetarian Association)
Position Type: Current and returning Student under the Canada Summer Jobs Program
Duration: 8 weeks (30 hours a week)
Location: 17 Baldwin Street, 2nd Flr Toronto (downtown) We regret the office is not wheelchair accessible
Application Deadline: Wednesday May 23rd, 2018
POSITION OVERVIEW – The Community Outreach and Office Assistant will engage with the local vegetarian and veg-friendly community by assisting with the planning and execution of the Toronto Vegetarian Association’s (TVA) outreach program and Veg Guide, as well as assisting with day to day administrative tasks in the TVA office.
S/he will be the front-line person for all in person and phone inquiries, including those about adopting a plant-based diet. S/he will assist with coordination of outreach events including packing for events, drafting communications for volunteers, reporting on events, and researching future opportunities. S/he will prepare and mail information packages and other items to members and the general public.
S/he will assist the Veg Guide Coordinator with answering queries about the Veg Guide and doing follow-up calls with potential advertisers. S/he will also be required to answer queries relating to general inquiries from vendors, members, or the general public about TVA’s activities.
An enthusiastic, proactive vegetarian self-starter will thrive in this position. This role calls for excellent organizational and planning skills, strong communication and customer service skills, and proficiency with computers.
QUALIFICATIONS – The Community Outreach and Office Assistant will be required to:
- Plan and carry out projects and tasks from start to finish with well-defined objectives; continuously monitor the success of these projects and tasks; and identify ways to improve.
- Read and understand information presented in a variety of forms; write and speak so that volunteers, clients and members of the general public pay attention and understand; and share information using a range of information and communications technologies.
- Have good attention to detail and ability to follow instructions
- Able to communicate effectively with a variety of customers and provide excellent customer service
In addition to the duties listed above, this position will incorporate exciting and challenging growth tasks and learning opportunities.
The Community Outreach and Office Assistant will have the unique opportunity to develop his/her project planning, communicating and problem-solving skills in a welcoming and supportive vegetarian-friendly environment, as well as to as interact with and coordinate a wide range of communities involved in health promotion, compassion for animals, and environmental sustainability.
REQUIREMENTS – The successful applicant must:
- Meet the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program (see Canada Summer Jobs Eligibility)
- Follow a vegetarian diet (free of meat, fish and poultry or the flesh of any animal).
- Demonstrate the capacity for self-directed work, and be able to work well under minimal supervision.
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have experience and interest in providing customer service.
- Be highly responsible, mature, and willing to accept personal accountability.
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- Be proficient in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and internet – experience with Mac OS X is an asset.
We encourage applications from students enrolled in any of the following field(s) of study:
- Administrative Studies, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Marketing, Non-profit Management, or another related field.
This student will be required to have a professional outlook, as well as strong communication and customer service skills.
CANADA SUMMER JOBS ELIGIBILITY
The position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program. In order to qualify for this program, eligible student participants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Please do not apply if you do not meet these requirements.
- Reporting to:
- Director of Operations
- Donor and Volunteer Resources Coordinator
- Veg Guide Coordinator
HOURS OF WORK & COMPENSATION
- 30 hours per week, mostly during regular business hours; some evenings and weekends.
- This is an 8-week contract position with a planned start-date of June 11 and concluding in August 2018.
- Compensation is $17.00 per hour.
- Send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting CSJ18COOA in the subject line. Please demonstrate to us in your application how you meet the qualifications listed above.
- For more information about what we’re looking for in your application, please review these tips on creating an effective résumé.
- MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments only please.
Deadline to apply is Wednesday May 23rd, 2018
The Toronto Vegetarian Association welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.