Lemon Asparagus Hummus
Care of Andrea Howe
Makes 1.5 cups
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 (400mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp cooking water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat a saucepan filled with salted water to high heat until boiling. Prepare an ice bath.
2. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook 3 to 4 minutes until tender but crunchy. Immediately submerge in ice bath once done.
3. Reserve 1 tbsp of asparagus cooking water.
4. In a food processor, add chickpeas, garlic cloves, tahini, lemon juice, cooking water, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Process until combined while slowly adding 2 tbsp olive oil.
5. Season to taste with lemon juice and salt. Garnish with olive oil and red pepper flakes.
6. Serve with raw veggies or whole wheat pita.