Vegan Butter Chicken
Care of Ashley Sauve of The Vegan Chef
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 small red chili (or more if you like it hot)
- 1 package smoked tofu, cubed (or regular tofu)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (if necessary to offset acidity)
- 2 cups greens (collards, kale, spinach etc.)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, cinnamon stick and bay leaf, sauté until tender. Add the garlic, chili and spices, frying for one minute.
- Add the tomato paste, stir around the pan and cook for a minute or two, then add the crushed tomatoes, stirring to incorporate.
- Add the tofu and coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt. Taste your sauce and if it is too bitter for your liking, add agave to taste. Add greens, stir and simmer until wilted (5-10 minutes).
- Top with cashews and serve over brown basmati rice. Enjoy!