Cannellini Bean Brownies with a Date Coconut Glaze & Toasted Walnuts
Care of Amy Symington of ameliaeats.com
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup dates
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8 pan with coconut oil.
2. In a food processor, add all of the ingredients except the dates, coconut oil and water, and process until the batter is smooth. Fold in 1/4 cup of walnuts.
3. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are a tiny bit brown. The batter may look underdone, but you don’t want them to dry out!
4. Cool the pan for 30 minutes on wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, in a food processor add the dates, coconut oil and water. Process until completely smooth. If still sticky add another 1 tbsp of water. Pour over brownies and sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
6. Allow to sit in refrigerator for another 45 minutes before attempting to cut. They will crumble otherwise. Cut into 16 squares.