Care of Amy Symington
- 450g firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- ¼ bunch parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl add tofu and toss in 1 tbsp of oil. Place evenly onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Next, in a medium stock pot over medium high heat add remaining oil. Once heated add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.
4. Next add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
5. Add thyme and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
6. Incorporate tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine.
7. Next add tamari, bay leaf, vegetable stock and tofu. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with black pepper and salt if needed. Serve over your choice of mashed vegetable or whole grain and top with parsley.