Where to find vegan winter coats in Toronto
That was certainly a wonderful tease we got last week with warm, sunny days that made us think summer might have returned for a few more weeks. But temperatures dipped again, sending us out shopping for winter coats.
In case you’ve never visited the Toronto Vegetarian Association Facebook group, let me enlighten you that it is made up of an extremely knowledgeable, resourceful group of people that always seem to have answers to every and any question that is asked about where you can find “xyz” in Toronto. So from here on in, we’ll try to share the wonderful information on the Facebook group so you have it ready at your fingertips!
Starting with, where to find a vegan winter coat in Toronto. Here are some of the places or brands that we learned sell parkas without down lining or fur trim. Note: This does not mean these stores do not also sell coats with animal products, so be sure to check the labels.
Stores at which vegan coat options are available:
- The Bay (you can search their online page using the term vegan)
- Mark’s Work Wearhouse
- Mountain Equipment Co-Op
- The Hemp Company on Yonge Street near Charles (Hoodlamb coats)
- Le Château (Note: they also have a well established formal corporate policy concerning fur-free products. “We do not use any real fur in our product line and require that our suppliers adhere to such policy.”)
- Patagonia (they have their own store): check out their Nanopuff line!
- SportChek (aka Sports Experts in Quebec)
- Sporting Life
- Target (Beaver Canoe coats)
Vegan coat brands to look for in various stores (or buy direct online):
Fjallraven(Jan 2017 update: parkas contain leather detailing and may contain down)
- Helly Hansen brand, spotted at SportCheck and Winners
- Hoodlamb (sold at The Hemp Company on Yonge Street near Charles, or by mail order)
- Kanuk (http://kanuk.ca) – Canadian-made, expensive but last a long time
- Land’s End (mail order)
- North Face Thermoball Line
- Noize Original: This is a brand of coats which can be found at the Bay and Jean Machine in Toronto. (if you find out it’s sold elsewhere let us know!)
- Point Zero (spotted at Winners)
- Vaute Couture (http://vautecouture.com)
- Mammoth Outerware: A local, all-vegan coat company. Orders online only at https://mammothouterwear.com