We care about your privacy
Thank you for your interest in the Toronto Vegetarian Association (TVA). We believe in giving you full disclosure about the kinds of information we gather and what we do with it, and in giving you a choice about the use of your personal information.
Who we are
This privacy statement represents the policy of the Toronto Vegetarian Association. Founded in 1945, the Toronto Vegetarian Association is the largest and second oldest locally-based vegetarian organization in North America. TVA is a registered non-profit charitable organization.
Personally identifiable information
This is information you may have given us about specifically who you are, such as:
- name, mailing address, email address, user name, password
- demographic information (such as age and education)
- your interests and preferences
- transactional information (such as the history of your purchases or the fact that your name and address was obtained by us on a contest entry or Food Fair survey)
We may use the information in these ways:
- To provide the product, information or service you requested:
If you are a member, we need your name and address (postal and/or email) in order to deliver the product, information or service you requested and to follow up with you about the transaction (i.e., send a bill, notify you that your membership is expiring, etc). We may also send you further information as deemed necessary.
- To send you information about services or products:
Prior to January 1, 2004 Toronto Vegetarian Association may have collected personal information, such as e-mail address, using privacy policies that differ from the statement above. Where information has already been provided, members will be contacted to inform them of the new policy before any new use is made of their information.
Your credit card number, debit card number, or banking information for pre-authorized payments is used only for processing payments and for presenting you with payment options – not for marketing purposes. We do not store any of this information electronically.
This is information that cannot identify you personally, such as:
- Browser information (i.e. the URL of the web page you were just on, the IP address of the computer you are using, your domain type, and your browser version). Browser information is automatically recorded as part of transmitting information over the Internet. We may use it to help us display information in the best format for you.
- Advertising Reports. We may develop summary reports for advertisers, to help them better understand our audience and provide advertisements that are more likely to be of interest to you. For example, we may report total number of visitors to our site in general or to specific pages, average length of visit, etc. No identifying data about individuals would be reported.
- “Clickstream” Data. During your visit to our sites, we may record choices you have made and use this to provide more customized content or advertising. The data does not identify you and is not retained after your visit. This is sometimes called “clickstream” data. If we do market research studies or polls in any area that will only be reported in aggregate, this will be indicated.
It is possible to configure your browser to reject cookies by modifying the browser settings or preferences. If you wish to do so, we recommend you consult the information provided in the browser or contact the browser vendor for help and instructions.
Control of Your Information
You always have the option to instruct us not to use your name, address, e-mail address, etc. beyond providing you with the service product, or information you requested. See “Contact Us” below.
E-mail communications will always include an identification of the sender and an “Unsubscribe” option.
If you receive a mailing from Toronto Vegetarian Association and you wish to know the source of your name (i.e. what list it came from), we will make every reasonable effort to determine the source and provide you with the information. For this request, or to confirm that any personal information we may have is correct, please contact us in writing (See “Contact Us” below).
Although it is highly unlikely, we may be required by law to provide information to law enforcement or judicial authorities in certain cases.
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized individuals have access to member information. Where information is sent to a third party for processing (for example newsletter distribution to members), we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all personal information is kept secure. We keep your information for the time we are providing you with a product or service, and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you wish to resume service.
We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Credit card information is processed using industry-standard encryption and security. We do not collect personal information from bulletin boards or forums. However, we cannot guarantee that personal information voluntarily disclosed on message boards and discussion groups will not be collected and used by others, which may result in unsolicited messages to you from other parties.
This statement discloses the privacy practices for the TVA and the TVA website only (www.veg.ca). The TVA website contains links to other sites. Once you link to another site, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of the new site. TVA encourages you to read the privacy policies of all websites you visit.
You may contact Toronto Vegetarian Association regarding privacy matters in any of the following ways:
E-mail: email@example.com (please put “Privacy” in the subject line)
Toronto Vegetarian Association,
17 Baldwin St, 2nd floor
Toronto, Ontario M5T 1L1 Canada
From time to time, we may update our privacy statement. Please check back periodically.