Care of Andrea Howe of Glowing on Greens
Parsley is often an underrated ingredient used as simple garnish for added colour. However, it is worth much more credit due to it being packed full of vitamins, minerals, and with many health benefits.
Parsley contains special antioxidants that fight free radical damage which can lead to the development of cancers and inflammation. This can benefit those with arthritis, chronic inflammation, or injured muscles. Parsley is also an excellent source of vitamin C which is key in fighting disease and cancers. As well, its high potassium content leads it to be a natural diuretic helping relief from bloating, edema, or water retention.
Parsley can be incorporated into a variety of dishes like tabbouleh, smoothies or juices, risotto, and more! Check out this savoury mushroom cauliflower risotto recipe with fresh parsley.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vegan butter
1lb white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head of cauliflower
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
Garnish: vegan parmesan
1. Warm vegetable stock until it begins to simmer.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and let brown (10 min).
3. Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
4. While cooking, grate or food process cauliflower until mealy consistency.
5. Turn heat to low and add cauliflower to mushroom mixture. Add red pepper flakes, thyme, basil, and parsley.
6. Slowly add vegetable broth ladle by ladle until fully absorbed.
7. Season and add garnish.