POSITION OVERVIEW – The Veg Food Fest Assistant will assist with the planning, production and delivery of Toronto Vegetarian Association’s 34th Annual 2018 Veg Food Fest. This festival is the largest of its kind in North America with over 40,000 attendees over a three day period supported by hundreds of volunteers, over 150 vendors and several local and international presenters. The mission of the TVA is to “inspire people to choose a greener, healthier and more compassionate diet through plant-based eating” and this event is an important part of the furtherance of the mission.
S/he will be the front line person for all festival inquiries, and will carry out follow-up communications with festival vendors and other stakeholders to support the Veg Food Fest. S/he will work closely with the Toronto Vegetarian Association team to achieve the goals of the 2018 Veg Food Fest. Opportunities to participate creatively in programming or marketing the festival will be explored with the Festival & Events Coordinator.
An enthusiastic, proactive self-starter will thrive in this position. This role calls for excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask, strong communication skills, and proficiency working with computers.
QUALIFICATIONS – The Veg Food Fest Assistant will be required to:
- Plan and carry out projects and tasks from start to finish with well-defined objectives; continuously monitor the success of these projects and tasks; and identify ways to improve.
- Read and understand information presented in a variety of forms; write and speak in order to engage volunteers, clients and members of the public; and share information using a range of information and communications technologies.
- Assess situations and identify problems; be creative and innovative in exploring possible solutions; check to see if a solution works; and act on opportunities for improvement.
In addition to the duties listed above, this position will include exciting and challenging growth tasks and learning opportunities in multimedia communications and volunteer coordination.
The Veg Food Fest Assistant will have the unique opportunity to develop his/her project planning, communicating and problem solving skills in a welcoming and supportive vegetarian-friendly environment, as well as to interact with and coordinate a wide range of communities involved in health promotion, compassion for animals, and environmental sustainability.
REQUIREMENTS – The successful applicant must:
- Demonstrate the capacity for self-directed work, and be able to work well under minimal supervision.
- Have excellent organizational skills (Experience coordinating events or projects strongly preferred).
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be highly responsible, mature, and willing to accept personal accountability.
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- Be proficient in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and internet (experience with Mac OS X is an asset).
- Follow a vegetarian diet (free of meat, fish and fowl or the flesh of any animal).
ASSETS – These skills are not required, but would be seen as an asset:
- Have knowledge of WordPress and experience using WordPress as a publishing engine.
- Have experience writing materials such as blog posts, social media posts, or creative work.
- Have experiencing managing social networks for brands / organizations.
- Have graphic design skills or experience.
- Have experience with other festivals.
- Have experience in marketing or communications skills or experience.
- Have any data/surveying skills or experience.
This Veg Food Fest Assistant will be required to have a professional outlook, as well as strong communication and customer service skills. Marketing or event coordination training would also be an asset since the individual will be involved in planning and marketing a major event (attendance 45,000+)
- Reports to:
- Festival & Events Coordinator
- Collaborates with:
- Donor and Volunteer Resources Coordinator
HOURS OF WORK & COMPENSATION
- 35 hours per week, mostly during regular business hours; some evenings and weekends.
- This position may require some hours on evenings and weekends, including the Annual Veg Food Fest on September 7th, 8th and 9th, 2018
- This is a 16-week contract position starting June 11 and ending after debriefing from the Veg Food Fest in September.
- Compensation is $17 per hour.
- Send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com quoting JOB#18FA in the subject line. Please demonstrate to us in your application how you meet the qualifications listed above.
- MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments only please.
Deadline to apply is Friday, May 25th, 2018
The Toronto Vegetarian Association welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.