Care of Andrea Howe at www.glowingongreens.com
– 2 acorn squash
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup celery, diced
– 1 green apple, diced
– 1/2 cup dried cranberries
– 1 tsp dried sage
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 2 cups cooked quinoa
– 1/2 orange, zest and juice
– Salt and pepper
– Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out insides.
2. Combine olive oil and maple syrup. Brush dressing over squash and season. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
3. While cooking, heat skillet with oil. Add onion, garlic, celery, and apple. Once onion is translucent, add cranberries, sage, thyme, and cinnamon.
4. Add cooked quinoa, orange zest and juice and fully combine. Turn heat to low and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Season to taste.
5. When squash is ready, fill with quinoa mixture. Place back into the oven for 5 minutes. Garnish with toasted pecans or walnuts.