Position Overview: The Festival Assistant (Promotions), will assist with promotions for the 2017 Veg Food Fest and associated events.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Toronto Vegetarian Association team to promote the festival within the GTA and to vegetarians across the continent. S/he/they will craft communications and design materials to generate interest in North America’s largest annual vegetarian festival and achieve the mission of the Toronto Vegetarian Association.
An enthusiastic, proactive vegetarian self-starter will thrive in this position. This role calls for good organizational skills, strong written communication skills, and experience using social media platforms to engage audiences. Layout and
graphic design skills, and proficiency working with Adobe creative programs, would be an asset.
This position is funded by Service Canada through the Canada Summer Jobs program; only eligible returning students may apply.
CANADA SUMMER JOBS ELIGIBILITY – In order to qualify for this program, eligible student participants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS – The Festival Assistant will be required to:
- Plan and carry out design and promotional projects and tasks from start to finish with well-defined objectives; continuously monitor the success of these projects and tasks; and identify ways to improve.
- Assist in the design, preparation and distribution of promotional materials; present design mock-ups to supervisor for approval; incorporate changes and review for errors before submitting materials to be printed and/or shared electronically.
- Assess situations and identify problems; be creative and innovative in exploring possible solutions; check to see if a solution works; and act on opportunities for improvement.
- In addition to the duties listed above, this position will incorporate exciting and challenging growth tasks and learning opportunities.
REQUIREMENTS – The successful applicant must:
- Meet the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program for returning students.
- Demonstrate the capacity for self-directed work, and be able to work well under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and execute social media and marketing strategy.
- Generate and share content that builds meaningful connections with our community.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be highly responsible, mature, and willing to accept personal accountability.
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- Be proficient in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and internet (experience with Mac OS X is an asset).
- Follow a vegetarian diet (free of meat, fish and fowl or the flesh of any animal).
ASSETS – These skills are not required, but would be seen as an asset:
- Knowledge of WordPress and experience using WordPress as a publishing engine.
- Layout and graphic design experience using Adobe Creative programs.
- Experience writing materials such as blog posts, social media posts, or creative work.
- Experience managing social networks for brands / organizations.
- Experience with festivals and special events.
- Experience in marketing or communications skills or experience.
The Festival Assistant will be required to have a professional outlook, as well as strong communication skills. Marketing training would also be an asset since the individual will be involved in promoting a major event (attendance 35,000+)
- Festival & Events Coordinator
- Veg Food Fest Assistant
HOURS OF WORK & COMPENSATION
- 30 hours per week, mostly during regular business hours. This position may require some hours on evenings and weekends.
- The Festival & Events Assistant may be required to work 1-2 days per week from home.
- This is an 8-week contract position starting July 4th and ending August 26th.
- Compensation is $15 per hour.
Send your résumé, cover letter, and a sample of previous design/layout work to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting JOB#17FA-2 in the subject line. Please demonstrate to us in your application how you meet the qualifications listed above.
MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments only please.
Deadline to apply is Friday, June 16th, 2017
The Toronto Vegetarian Association welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.