Care of Amy Symington of ameliaeats.com
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 1 540 ml can coconut milk
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 tsp salt
Sriracha peanut ingredients:
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, shelled
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sriracha or your favourite hot sauce
Sweet potato green pesto ingredients (optional):
- 4 cups greens (sweet potato greens and/or arugula)
- ¼ cup ground blanched almonds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
Garnish (optional): Whole grain crostinis
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- For soup: In a medium stock pot, over medium high heat add oil. Once heated, add onions and sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Next add garlic, red chili and spices and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Next add sweet potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Allow to simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Using a hand immersion blender, blend ingredients until completely smooth. Season if necessary.
- For peanuts: In a small bowl toss together peanuts, maple syrup and sriracha until peanuts are completely coated. Place on to baking sheet and roast in oven for 10 minutes, until peanuts are slightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For pesto (if using): In a food processor add all pesto ingredients. Process until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- For service: Ladle 2 cups of soup into a soup bowl. Top with a crostini (if using), a drizzle of pesto (if using) and a sprinkle of peanuts.