Job Posting: Bookkeeper (Part-time contract)
Position Overview: The Toronto Vegetarian Association is seeking a detail-oriented bookkeeping professional to prepare and maintain our financial records. The Bookkeeper will assist in the execution of financial duties and work to ensure the accuracy of all accounting records.
Founded in 1945, the Toronto Vegetarian Association (TVA) is the largest vegetarian organization in Canada. Providing information and support for over 70 years, our flagship program is the Veg Food Fest, North America’s largest vegetarian festival. We also coordinate a Vegetarian Directory of businesses, online resources like veg.ca and veggiechallenge.com, and year-round events like the Totally Fabulous Vegan Bake-Off and Veggielicious. The TVA is a registered charity; our mission is to inspire people to choose a healthier, greener, more compassionate lifestyle through plant-based eating.
- Post deposits, supplier invoices and payments
- Prepare weekly deposits
- Prepare manual cheques for paying supplier invoices
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Prepare manual bi-weekly salaried payroll cheques and monthly source deduction remittances
- Prepare annual T4, T4A and T4NR4 slips and summaries
- Prepare monthly financial statements for the Executive Director and Treasurer for presentation to the Board of Directors
- Assist with the preparation of budgets for funding proposals and financial reports for funders
- Responsibilities may change as required by TVA
- Two-year community college diploma in accounting/bookkeeping or equivalent
- Minimum of two years experience in bookkeeping for a charitable organization
- Thorough knowledge and experience in all aspects of bookkeeping and basic accounting principles and practices
- Sound knowledge of Quick Books and Excel; proficiency in the use of Macintosh-based computers (Mac OS X) a definite asset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of vegetarian issues and philosophy
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Works with: TVA’s Audit & Finance Committee
- Expected commitment: 4-10 hours per month
- Compensation: $25-28 hourly
- This is a twelve-month part-time contract position beginning April 15, 2016 and ending April 30, 2017
Applicants should submit their resume with cover letter on Saturday March 26, 2016 to:
Hiring Committee, Toronto Vegetarian Association
17 Baldwin Street, 2nd floor, Toronto, ON M5T 1L1
Please reference Job #16TVABK in the subject line of any email application
The Toronto Vegetarian Association welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.
For more information about the Toronto Vegetarian Association please explore veg.ca.