Care of Ashley Sauve
During the holidays we eat more than any other time of year! This recipe is the perfect healthy side dish to bring along to a big dinner, or to serve at your own holiday shindig. Try getting creative with grain choices or combinations to impress your guests.
1 pound (about 4 cups) brussels sprouts, cleaned and sliced in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup pomegranate seeds
2 cups cooked grain—such as amaranth, quinoa, wild rice, spelt berries, millet etc.
1 tablespoon clementine zest
Juice from one large clementine
Juice from half a lemon
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon grated ginger
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Toss brussels sprouts in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and lay out on a non-stick baking sheet.
3. Roast brussels sprouts in the oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
4. Peel and segment clementines and remove seeds from pomegranate.
5. In a large bowl, mix the cooked grain with pomegranate seeds.
6. In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Once cooked, add the brussels sprouts and dressing to the grain mixture, mix until combined then gently stir in clementine segments.
8. Serve warm or chilled and enjoy!