Curried tofu tacos with brussel sprout slaw
Care of Amy Symington
- 1 (350 g) package extra firm tofu, cut into long ¼” thick strips
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 6 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- ½ cup water
- 1 (398ml) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 cups brussel sprouts, chiffonade
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
Plus 10 6” soft corn tortillas and cilantro leaves for garnish
1. In a shallow baking dish add the tofu, soy sauce, turmeric, ground coriander and paprika, and thoroughly coat the tofu. Set aside.
2. Over medium high heat add 1 tbsp of the coconut oil. Once heated, add the tofu strips. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes, and then flip. Fry the other side until golden brown, about 2 minutes, turn off heat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, add the remaining coconut oil. Once heated add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent.
4. Add tomatoes and jalapenos and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
5. Next stir in the sweet potatoes and water. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Next mix in beans and salt, and heat through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl add the brussel sprouts and set aside.
8. Next in a small mixing bowl add avocado, lime zest and juice, water and salt. Using a hand immersion blender, blend until completely smooth. Add to brussel sprouts and mix.
9. For assembly, take one corn tortilla, 2 tbsp of bean mixture, 2 tbsp of slaw, 3 strips of tofu and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with your favourite hot sauce.