Care of Ashley Sauve
Fall is a time of comfort foods, and mac and cheese is basically the ultimate comfort food. This recipe is low fat and uses a creamy vegetable-based sauce. It is the ULTIMATE, guilt-free, healthy mac and cheese recipe!
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1lb macaroni of choice (rice, corn, whole wheat, quinoa etc.)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 – 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (the kind sold in cartons)
1. Steam the cauliflower until very soft, about 12 minutes.
2. Cook the macaroni as per package directions.
3. Heat coconut oil in non-stick frying pan, add garlic and onion and sauté until soft (about 8 minutes).
4. In a blender or food processor, combine cauliflower, garlic, onion, nutritional yeast, Dijon, salt, Daiya shreds, and paprika. Add the coconut milk and blend until smooth, adding more if necessary.
5. Pour the sauce over the macaroni and serve with steamed broccoli for Mac ‘n Cheese & Trees!