Care of Amy Symington
Makes 10-12 servings
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs (or gluten free breadcrumbs if preferred)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups soy milk, unsweetened
- 1½ cups toasted cashews, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6-7 medium carrots, sliced 1/16” thick
- 6-7 medium parnsips, sliced 1/16” thick
- 3 medium watermelon radishes, sliced 1/16” thick (or turnips would work here too)
- 2 small beets, sliced 1/16” thick
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat add 2 tbsp oil. Once heated, add breadcrumbs and 1 tbsp thyme. Toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with nutritional yeast and 1 tsp salt. Season with pepper to taste and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat whisk together milk, ground cashews, 1 tbsp oil, remaining thyme and cayenne to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Toss vegetables and garlic in a large bowl; season with remaining salt and pepper to taste. Add vegetables to 9×13″ baking dish, pour the milk mixture over and cover.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and milk has thickened. Uncover, top with breadcrumb mixture, drizzle with remaining oil and bake for 15 minutes or until gratin is bubbling and top is brown. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.