- 1 tablespoon ground chia or flax seed
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups non-dairy milk of choice
- ¼ cup roasted beet puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
For beet puree:
- Preheat oven to 350 C, roast washed beets with skin on until tender (45 minutes or longer depending on the size of the beets).
- Remove from the oven and let them cool to the touch.
- Cover your hands with gloves or sandwich bags to protect your nails from being stained red. The skin should slide off easily, use a pairing knife if necessary.
- Add one small to medium sized beet to blender or food processor and blend until pureed. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
- In a cup, whisk ground chia or flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Let sit until seeds begin to absorb water.
- In a large bowl sift together rice flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, beet puree, vanilla, maple syrup and chia/flax mixture.
- Create a well in centre of flour mixture and add wet ingredients to dry.
- Gently mix batter until just incorporated, lumps are OK!
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, and melt a small amount of coconut oil.
- Scoop 1/3 cup portions of batter into the pan and let pancakes cook about 3 minutes or until bubbles begin to rise to top, flip and finish cooking.
Garnish with berries and jam/maple syrup/favourite pancake toppings and enjoy!