Care of Amy Symington
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into 1/4” thick disks
- 1 tsp salt
- 350g package firm tofu
- 3/4 cups unsalted raw almonds
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2.5 cups cooked brown lentils or 1 (540mL) can, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (any colour)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs basil, with the stems and leaves removed
Preheat the oven to 375⁰F. Sprinkle the eggplant with 1/4 tsp of salt. After 5 minutes pat dry with a towel.
In a food processor add the tofu, cashews, water, garlic and 1/2 tsp of salt. Blend until smooth. On baking trays lined with parchment paper, add the eggplant. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. Sauté the onions in oil until translucent. Add lentils and oregano. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes. Sauté until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining salt and pepper. In a 13”x 9” baking dish spread the lentil mixture. Next, layer the eggplant and then top with the almond mixture. Cover in foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes. Garnish with basil.