Ten Tips for Staying Healthy in the New Year
Instead of focusing on one healthy food this month, we thought we’d start the new year off by providing you with Nimisha Raja’s top ten tips for a healthier you in the new year.
1. Get the junk out! Eliminate refined flours, sugars and oils. This is the single most important step you can take towards improving your health.
2. Drink LOTS of water – very important to stay hydrated to flush out toxins and keep your cells, muscles and organs functioning well. Most North Americans are chronically dehydrated. Caffeinated beverages don’t count – they’re a diuretic – which means they have the opposite effect.
3. Get some moderate exercise EVERYDAY – even a 30-minute brisk walk per day counts.
4. Eat your greens! Raw, dark, leafy greens have powerful anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals we need to stay healthy. (See the recipe below to help you get sufficient quantities into your daily routine.)
5. Turn the TV off! Go for a walk, play with your kids, do a puzzle, read a book, or do something else that relaxes you.
6. Make fresh fruits and vegetables a large part of your daily meals. Salads, smoothies and just plain cut up fruits and veggies are an easy way to get your 5 – 10 a day.
7. Get enough sleep and rest – that’s when your body does the repair and healing work.
8. Stay connected – keep in touch with family and friends. Healthy relationships contribute to a healthy mind, body and spirit.
9. Make time for yourself. It’s just as important to stay connected with yourself. Take a walk, meditate, spend quiet time in nature. Breathe!
10. Remember to have FUN! Laugh, play, sing or anything else that brings you joy.