Red Cabbage and Black Currant Salad
Makes 6 servings, care of the The New York Times
- 1 small head of red cabbage
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen black currants or black currant jam
- Sugar to taste
1. Julienne the cabbage or grate it into fine shreds. Place it in a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. If using frozen currants, defrost them. Mash the currants and, if necessary, sweeten to taste with sugar.
3. Combine the black currant mixture (or jam) with the cabbage and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.