Care of Laura Wright
Use any finely shredded/sliced veggies and herbs you like as a filling. As long as you keep it fresh, these crisp little rolled up salads are sure to satisfy.
- 6-8 leaves of chard
- 3 cups finely julienned/sliced fruits and vegetables such as: -carrots -bell peppers -apples -sprouts -jicama -shaved asparagus -strawberries -beets -radishes -sliced avocado -whatever you want to use up in the fridge!
- 3-4 sprigs-worth of mild fresh herb leaves such as: -mint -basil (regular or thai) -cilantro -parsley
Spicy Mango Sauce:
- 1 cup diced, ripe mango
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 small jalapeno, veins and seeds removed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 tsp nama shoyu or tamari soy sauce
- ¼ cup filtered water
Carefully cut the stems out of the chard leaves: With a paring knife, cut around the stem, on both sides, up to about the halfway point in the leaf. Repeat with other leaves. Lay the cut leaf on a cutting board. It should look like the top half of the leaf has two little legs sticking out from under it. Cross one of the “legs” over the other one to form a unified oval-shaped “wrap.” Place a good handful of julienned vegetables/sprouts onto the center of the oval-shaped leaf. Garnish with a few herb leaves. Carefully wrap the chard around the vegetables, starting with the crossed over/overlapped leaves end and working your way up. Once you’ve reached the end, place the roll seam side down onto your serving plate. repeat with remaining chard and vegetables/herbs.
Make the sauce: Combine all of the mango sauce ingredients in a blender. Turn the blender on to medium-high and puree the mixture. Once smooth and slightly watery, stop the blender. Taste for seasoning. Place sauce into a bowl and serve with the chard spring rolls.